Local Search Engine Optimization has been around for a number of years but continued to become harder and harder for businesses to compete and maintain the presence without hiring a local search company with the expertise of local SEO factors. With the algorithm updates and increased competition, you have to do much more today than ever before to gain the placement with your local business page on the major search engines. Not to worry, while local SEO is competitive and internet marketing companies such as InnoVision Biz are out there to help, there are things every business owner can to do help their placement without investing money, just dedicating their time to helping their online presence.
Keep in mind, an essential local seo factor is need a physical location in the city you want to be found. Using a fictitious address can have negative consequences on your websites placement.
Here are some key factors that you should pay attention to:
- Claim your Google, Yahoo & Bing profiles. Without doing this, you can’t add necessary information into your profiles that the search engines look for.
- Fill out your profiles completely.
- use your complete business name, address and local phone number. (no P.O. Boxes or 800 numbers, do not use keywords in your company name unless it is your legal business name)
- make sure you use keywords in your descriptions that relate to your business
- choose suggested categories when possible, if not, choose categories that pertain to your business, add as many as possible.
- choose your radius service if you service businesses at their locations.
- add as many photo’s and videos as possible. The first photo uploaded should be your logo or building as this will be your primary image.
- in Google, you can add custom attributes. This area is another place you can add more keyword data and information about your products or services
- Claim major social listings such as city search, local ez, merchant circle, yelp, foursquare and other popular local directory listings.
- in Google do a search on yourself, specifically type in your business name + city. This will display directory sites that have your business information. Make sure your Name, Address & Phone (NAP) information is exactly the same throughout. Even a discrepancy such as suite and # in your address can cause issues. Verify any listings that you can.
- Google your primary keyword string, Google the following including the quotes, “business name + address + phone number” of the business that shows up in position “A”. This will give you a list of citation sites they have registered, cross reference these with yourself and add any missing ones.
- Complete On-Page SEO for your website using geo specific keywords in your meta data and content.
These are the major items that local SEO or local search engine optimization companies address when starting a local SEO campaign. Keep in mind that the days of separate map listings and organic listings are a thing of the past with Google. The majority of local SEO results are a combination of your Google Plus listing and organic placement. Making sure you optimize both your website and Google Plus page is important in today’s world of local search. And as always, content is king! Keep good quality content on your website and update your content often.